For a busy entrepreneur, your time is your most valuable resource. There are only so many hours in a day, and chances are you will not be able to accomplish everything that you want to. This makes time management one of the most important skills an entrepreneur can have. This can be especially important when running a smaller business with little or no support staff, forcing the owner to juggle multiple roles within the company. Here are some tips to help ensure that you and your business are as productive as possible.
- Early every day, you should spend some time to create a schedule listing what you hope to accomplish. Without direction, it can be easy to flounder. This will help you focus your energy!
- Schedule time for interruptions, and don’t pack your schedule back-to-back. Remember that life happens, and something will likely distract you at some point. You should also take into account that tasks can sometimes take longer than you anticipate.
- Take a few minutes before any task or call to decide what its purpose is, and what outcome you want to obtain.
- Plan your communication and correspondence. It can be tempting to respond to emails as soon as you receive them, but it is often better to set aside fixed times to respond to inquiries. This can help prevent distraction, and keep you on task.
- Overcome problems by changing gears. If you are wrestling with a particularly difficult problem, try working on something else and coming back to it later.
Organization is critical to success, and is the key to avoiding procrastination. By making schedules and lists, you can make your time more productive, and your business more successful. No matter your business, make sure you manage your time!
“To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time” -Leonard Bernstein