On March 11, St Michael’s Hospital in downtown Toronto reached out to ASTOUND Group, a custom design and build manufacturer in Oakville, to come up with a solution to protect front-line workers from exposure to COVID-19. In less than 72 hours, the prototype COVID-19 containment kiosks were designed, manufactured and installed at the COVID-19 Rapid Assessment Centre at St. Michael’s. Since then, Astound has built more than 100 of the kiosks, which have been deployed to hospitals across Canada and has announced plans are underway to make their COVID-19 Rapid Assessment Centre designs public so any capable manufacturer can join in the effort to fight the pandemic.
Here is a (growing) list of other Halton businesses, manufacturers and organizations that have answered the call for emergency products, services and innovative solutions to support the COVID-19 response. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of a business you think we should highlight.
Burloak Technologies – With the support of Canada’s Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster (NGen), Burloak Technologies is partnering with Mohawk College to produce face shields for healthcare workers.
- Donated 80 N95 masks to Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital and 2,900 pairs of Nitrile gloves to Brampton Civic Hospital. Invest Oakville
- Engineers from the Oakville plant are assisting other manufacturers of PPE in Canada and dedicated teams will continue to monitor the COVID-19 impact and explore new solutions. Invest Oakille
- Retooled a portion of its Windsor Engine Plant to produce plastic protective face shields to be donated to healthcare workers in Ontario and across Canada. Global News
IKEA Canada – committed over $2M to support local companies impacted by COVID-19.
- Partnered with a local laser cutting company to manufacture 650 face shield frames per day using 3D printing technology.
- Partnering with University of Waterloo to evaluate face shield visor materials as current materials are being depleted.
- Working with the University Health Network, Canada’s largest research organization, to design and produce a scalable working ventilator prototype and mobilized support from industry partners to begin production once the prototype is approved. – Invest Oakville
Superior Glove – Hand Sanitizer – The first 1,000 bottles produced will be donated to facilities in need across our community. Also, plans to donate 48,000 pairs of nitrile gloves to keep frontline workers safe. Superior Glove LinkedIn
Funding Programs to help businesses respond to COVID-19
National Research Council of Canada (NRC) Programs: Explore NRC programs, partnership opportunities, and industry challenges to find collaborative solutions to the COVID-19 outbreak
Call to Action: Canadian manufacturers needed – If you are a Canadian manufacturer or business that can assist Canada in meeting the need for medical supplies, your help is needed: Call to Action.
Supplier Opportunity: Help Canada Combat COVID-19 – the Government of Canada is seeking businesses to supply products and services in support of Canada’s response to COVID-19. For more information, visit Help Canada Combat COVID-19.
Ontario Together: Province seeks emergency products and solutions – the Government of Ontario is seeking help from businesses who can supply emergency products and innovative solutions to support the response to COVID-19. The province has created a $50-million Ontario Together Fund to help companies respond. To get involved, visit Ontario Together
NGen: Next Generation Manufacturing Canada: NGen will invest $50 million in Supercluster funding to support companies as they rapidly respond to the COVID-19 pandemic by building a Canadian supply of essential equipment, products, and therapeutics. Project Application Guide.
Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Collaboration Platform: OCE is identifying the innovative technologies, SMEs and experts from across the province to help fill the current product and service gaps related to COVID-19. Connect with OCE if you have a piece of the puzzle (asset, technology, or product) to collaborate: OCE Collaboration Platform.