Just released! Halton Region’s 2018 Economic Review
The 2018 Halton Region Economic Review provides an overview of Halton’s economy and real estate market during the past year, Halton-related business news highlights and progress in employment land development. The Review also provides insight into Halton’s competitiveness within the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
Results from the 2018 Halton Region Economic review confirm that our local economy continues to perform well. Halton’s sustained economic growth can be attributed to our fast growing population, diverse industry sectors, highly talented labour pool and communities that rank highest for quality of living and attract billions of dollars in business and development investment.
Highlights from the 2018 Halton Economic Review include:
- Halton’s population is estimated to be 583,363 in 2018 making Halton the fastest growing (by population) region in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Halton’s average unemployment rate of 5.3 per cent is lower than the annual average for the Greater Toronto Area (6.1%), Ontario (5.6 %) and Canada at (5.9%).
- Halton’s largest development that broke ground in 2018 was global logistics
leader DSV Canada’s new head office and logistics complex in Milton’s Derry Green Business Park. The 1.1 million square foot complex is expected to open in late 2019 and is expected to employ over 800 workers.
- Halton continues to see strong development activity with total construction values in the Region topping the $1 billion mark and more than 3.8 million square feet of non-residential floor space built or under construction.
- The Halton housing market remains among the strongest in Ontario. Over the past five years, there were nearly 20,000 new housing starts and existing home sales topped 43,000.
- Eighty per cent of Halton businesses surveyed 2018 Business Conditions Survey, expect economic conditions over 2019 will remain stable or improve.
- MoneySense ranks Halton communities high in their list of the Best Places to Live in Canada with The Town of Oakville claiming first place.
We invite you visit our website and download the 2018 Halton Region Economic Review.
WE’RE HERE TO HELP!
Contact us for assistance in expanding your business in Halton Region, or for additional information on the Halton economy. Explore our Resource Library to view a variety of reports, publications and videos. For more detailed statistics and historical trends, visit our Data Insights webpage.
Stay up-to-date! Sign-up to receive the latest economic development information in your Inbox.