Operating a home-based business has many advantages. You can avoid the stress of a daily commute and gain the flexibility of choosing your own clients and creating your own schedule. Here are some things to consider when planning a home based business:
Rules and regulations
Before you consider operating a home-based business, you need find out if you can actually open a business in your home. It is very important that you check with your local municipality to see what the rules and regulations are regarding a home-based business:
- City of Burlington: 905-335-7600; burlington.ca
- Town of Halton Hills: 905-873-2601; haltonhills.ca
- Town of Milton: 905-878-7252; milton.ca
Town of Oakville: 905-845-6601; oakville.ca
Permits and licences
To find out about business permits and licence information visit www.bizpal.ca, your one-stop shop for business permits and licences. BizPal is jointly managed by a partnership involving governments at the federal, provincial, territorial and municipal levels. Provinces, territories and hundreds of municipalities have collaborated to provide you with the permits and licences that may be required to start and grow your business.
Tips to help your home-based business succeed
- Check in with your neighbours and let them know your plans. Reassure them that there won’t be a huge increase in traffic to the neighbourhood. Let clients know your hours of operation.
- Create a personal space for your business including all the elements of an office – table, desk, phone, computer, filing cabinet, chairs, etc.
- Establish a work routine, including daily breaks. Let your family members know that although you are at home, you are working. Track your time so you know exactly how much you are spending in your business.
- Join local business associations and/or networking groups so that you don’t feel isolated.
Many people do run successful home-based businesses and the key is all in the planning.
The Halton Region Small Business Centre provides support to help your home-based business meet with success. For more information on our resources, services, business events and seminars, connect with us:
- Dial 311 in Halton Region or toll-free at 1-866-442-5866
- Email email@example.com
- Visit ca
- In person: 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville