Whether you’re thinking about opening a business, formulating your business plan, expanding an established small business or looking for youth entrepreneurship programs, the Halton Region Small Business Centre has what you need.
We host a weekly information session entitled Getting Started to help new business owners start off on the right foot and receive the relevant information without burdening them with “information overload.” In this session, staff members walk through a checklist of things that should be considered when starting a new business. The sessions are casual, informative small groups of five or less.
After the session, participants are welcome to tour the centre and learn about other available resources.
New or existing small business owners can also participate in our various seminars held throughout the year. Topics include:
- Starting a Small Business
- Writing a Business Plan
- Understanding Financial Basics
- Marketing – Research and Cost Effective Ideas
- First Steps in Exporting
- First Steps in Importing
These seminars are held in partnership with the local public libraries within Halton’s four local municipalities.
For youth who are considering entrepreneurship this year, we deliver two specific youth business programs – Summer Company and Futurpreneur Canada:
- The Summer Company program is open to high school and post-secondary students aged 15 to 29 who would like to experience entrepreneurship first-hand rather than work in a traditional summer job. Students are provided with training and skills development as well as mentorship from local professionals. In addition to the training and meetings, participants can access up to $1,500 in grant funding for start-up costs and an opportunity to receive an additional $1,500 award for successful completion of the program requirements.
- Futurpreneur Canada is a national, non-proﬁt organization that provides ﬁnancing, mentoring and support tools to aspiring business owners aged 18-39. The monthly information sessions provide an overview of the program and eligibility criteria.
Running a business can be one of the most fulfilling and challenging jobs you can have. If you are considering starting or expanding a small business this year, get the information needed for a successful business and New Year by contacting us today!