If you are hiring your first employee congratulations! This is a big step for your small business. As a new employer you must become fully aware of all of your legal obligations to Revenue Canada and conform to Employment Standards legislation.
Before you get started, it is good to learn about your legal obligations as an employer. We recommend that you review the information on the following websites and then meet with one of our business consultants to go over the information.
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Payroll Number 1-800-959-5525
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)
416-344-1000 or 1-800-387-0750
- Employer Health Tax (EHT)
- Employment Standards – Ministry of Labour
905-577-6221 or 1-800-531-5551
The Service Canada website for employers provides valuable information that will help you:
- Develop a well written job description to attract and retain the talent you need.
- Discover unadvertised opportunities to promote your job vacancy and find the right candidate.
- Prepare questions for and conduct productive job interviews.
- Evaluate and test job applicants
If you are looking for hiring subsidies the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities has a whole section for employers. These change from time to time so keep up today with what opportunities are available.
Congratulations on hiring your first employee!
One of the goals of the Centre is to empower small and medium-sized enterprises and give you the tools to achieve success. For more information about resources, services, business events and seminars, contact us by dialing 311, 1-866-442-5866, online at halton.ca/smallbusiness, by email at email@example.com or visit us at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville. You can also follow us on Twitter and find us on Facebook.