The Summer Company program provides hands-on business training and mentoring to help enterprising students between the ages of 15-29 (if under 18: a parent needs to sign the application) start and run their own summer business.
This program provides support to Halton students by providing:
– start-up money to kick-off a new summer business
– advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get your business up and running
The Halton Region Small Business Centre co-ordinates the program locally, and delivers it with the help of volunteer business advisors from the community. Summer Company provides students with the opportunity to be their own boss while teaching them how to run a successful business. Sales, marketing, invoicing, bookkeeping, customer relationship, management – these are just a few of the highly useful skills that can be developed.
Successful applicants can receive up to $1,500 in the spring to help with business start-up costs, and up to $1,500 in the fall upon successful completion of their Summer Company experience.
You could be eligible if you:
– go to high school, college or university in Ontario and live in Ontario
– are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
– are not already running a business
– are notworking more than 12 hours a week at another job during the program
– are returning to school after the program ends
Applicants must be prepared to commit:
– an average of 35 hours per week
– a minimum of 8 weeks in a row for high school students
– a minimum of 12 weeks in a row for post-secondary students
Step 1: The program provider reviews the application and business plan.
Step 2: Leading candidates attend interviews conducted by the program providers.
Step 3: Successful applicants are contacted and the program begins.
The application deadline is May 23, 2014.
For inspiration, check out the 2013 Summer Company Yearbook.
For more information on the program, or to apply online, visit Summer Company.
If you want to talk more about the Summer Company program, call us and book a free business consultation. We are here to help you. One of the goals of the Centre is to empower small and medium-sized enterprises and give you the tools to achieve success. For more information about Halton Region’s Small Business Centre resources, services, business events and seminars, contact us by dialing 311, 1-866-442-5866, online at www.haltonsmallbusiness.ca, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville. You can also follow us on Twitter and find us on Facebook.