Can you believe that it is 2013! I am still trying to grasp the fact that we just said goodbye to 2012. The positive aspect is that with the end of one year we have the beginning of another. In order to make the most of this new year, take time to look back and reflect on 2012. What worked and what didn’t? Now is the time to make changes – to stop doing what didn’t work and plan new beginnings.
Whether you had an amazing year or a year to forget, use the knowledge you now have to move forward towards bigger and better things.
Here are 10 tips to help get you started:
- Review each month (projects, client base and revenue).
- If you have been in business for several years, compare from year to year.
- Always make decisions based on fact or research.
- Do not get struck in a rut by continuing to do things that do not work because you have faith.
- Put a new spin on old projects.
- Consider a new sector or new target market.
- Talk to a mentor or someone you trust who will give you sound advice.
- Plan your every move.
- Set realistic goals throughout the year.
- Be positive and believe in yourself and your business.
New beginnings can be exciting but make sure you plan out fully what you are going to do. Have specific goals in mind that you need to accomplish before you move forward and commit your time and money.
Don’t be afraid of endings. They can be a time of celebration and accomplishment. Never view them as failures but view them as learning experiences that will help you make better choices.
Will 2013 be a time of change for you? Change is not an easy process. It takes time to plan and implement. In the end (sorry for the pun) the choice is up to you!
The Halton Region’s Small Business Centre is here to help you work to make plans and take steps towards gaining success in your business. One of the goals of the Centre is to empower small and medium-sized enterprises and give you the tools to achieve success. For more information about Halton Region’s Small Business Centre resources, services, including our Access to Professionals program, and how we can help direct you to the right resources, contact us by dialing 311, 1-866-442-5866, online at www.haltonsmallbusiness.ca, email@example.com or visit us at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville.