A few months ago, we hosted an E-business series that included topics ranging from creating a website to selling products online and how to measure the success of your website. Many of the participants left the series with hopes of implementing one or more e-business tactics within their business strategy.
Many small business owners, however, find it difficult to take that next step due to limited resources and/or lack of expertise. The Small Business Internship Program seeks to improve the competitiveness of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) by improving their e-business practices and technologies.
How does the program work?
The Internship Program provides SMEs with an opportunity to take advantage of the possibilities offered by e-business.
- The Small Business Internship Program could assist you in planning, developing, or executing an e-business project to improve productivity and competitiveness in the marketplace.
- SMEs receive financial support towards the employment of post-secondary students who will work on e-business projects.
- The Government of Canada reimburses up to 75% of the eligible wages and related expenses to a maximum of $10,000.
- The program helps develop opportunities for youth in internships with SMEs that foster their long-term employability and career development.
- All approved SMEs will hire a student-intern on a full-time basis, for a total of 420 hours.
Who is eligible to apply to the program?
To be eligible for the program, your business must:
- Be a Canadian small or medium-sized enterprise with less than 500 employees
- Be incorporated or a sole proprietorship and for-profit
- Have been in continuous operation for a minimum of one year
- Have an existing website and wish to enhance your e-business capability
- Contribute a minimum of 25% of the student wages and related expenses
To find out more about the program, visit the Small Business Internship Program website and take that next step in your e-business strategy.
And don’t forget, the Halton Region Small Business Centre is here to help you. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-442-5866, www.haltonsmallbusiness.ca, email@example.com or visit us at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville. You can also follow us on Twitter @haltonecdev and Facebook at www.facebook.com/HaltonSBEC.