The first of our E-business series got off to a great start last week! Creating Your Online Presence – A Website was presented to 16 attendees in the Staples store at 320 North Service Road in Oakville. Jemma Fong, partner of InSite Creations Web Design and Development, spoke to the group and the feedback from the participants was extremely positive. Jemma had been a volunteer for our Access to Professionals program for several years and we were so pleased when she agreed to present two of our four e-business seminars.
Attendee, Linda Roan (Transformational Coach and Medical Hypnotherapist) wrote to us to say, “I can’t say enough about Jemma and the amazing workshop she gave this evening. For $30.00 this evening was a great investment and you can quote me!!!!”
Among the many tips and advice she offered throughout the evening, Jemma helped her audience to understand that planning a website is a lot like putting together a business plan. The more time and research you do prior to meeting a web developer, the easier it will be to communicate ideas to help the designer come up with a website that works for your business. Jemma recommends the following:
- Come up with an Objective for your website, e.g., to generate leads. If this is your objective, how will you obtain this objective and how will you measure if the site is meeting this goal?
- Determine your target market and what their needs are. Where do they “hang out” online?
- Research your competition. Look at at least six direct and six indirect competitors and write down what you like and dislike about their websites.
- Determine your budget. Your budget should include money for market research, domain registration, hosting, ongoing marketing efforts and ongoing maintenance and updates.
- Interview several web designers and have a list of questions ready to ask including asking for a list of references.
- Make sure you have a contract with your designer that includes who owns what, milestones, project completion dates and any third party support maintenance and technical support.
Thanks Jemma once again for a terrific evening. We’re looking forward to seeing you again Tuesday, January 24th as the presenter for Social Media and other Online Marketing Tactics.
On Tuesday, January 31,Sandra de Leeux-Davis of TwinLion Media Group Inc. presents Selling Goods and Services Online and February 7th Denise Gervias of WSI Milton will discuss Measuring the Success of Your Website – Web Analytics and SEO. Please call our office at 905-825-6000 ext. 7900 or visit our website for further information on our seminars. Follow us on Twitter for the latest news, tips and advice!