Having a passion for your business is the first thing you need in order to create a successful enterprise. No matter what kind of business you decide to start, your chances of success are infinitely greater if you have a passion for what you are doing.
Business growth and ultimate success depend on complete commitment to all aspects of running the business. You can hire an accountant, a lawyer, and marketing guru but you can’t buy your desire to be the best at what you do.
If you’re not waking up most mornings thinking about wowing your customers, improving your profit margin or marketing your business, then it’s going to be awfully difficult to keep your business going.
When we meet clients at Halton Region’s Small Business Centre seeking information on starting their business, we can’t help but notice that it’s those who showed the greatest passion and energy that have succeeded in creating a successful business. These clients will stop at nothing to ensure they have used every resource we offer and we are happy to oblige. It’s wonderful to be able to help someone who has a great desire to learn.
For those of you who are just thinking about starting a business, we ask you to pick up a pencil and paper and answer these questions. Be honest with yourself.
- Are you prepared to handle the boring stuff that comes along with running a business?
- Can you see yourself doing this for the next five, ten, or 15 years?
- Are you so excited about your business idea that you want to tell everyone?
- What motivates you to do better each day?
- What will a successful business look like to you? If the answer is only “money”, you may want to rethink things. If your only goal is to make money, you may find yourself miserable at the end of the day.
Even the most passionate of entrepreneurs will experience ups and downs when starting and running a business. A passion for your business will help get you through the lows.
Having a motto can help too. When things get tough, think of one of the following quotes or find another one that you relate to. Or come up with your own!
- “Before success comes in any man’s life, he’s sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and the most logical thing to do is to quit. That’s exactly what the majority of men do.” – Napoleon Hill
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
- “If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra
- “Success in the affairs of life often serves to hide one’s abilities, whereas adversity frequently gives one an opportunity to discover them.” – Horace
Running a business is like riding a roller coaster. Enjoy the ride!
P.S. Still not sure? Take a look at our Thinking of Entrepreneurship? video to see if you have an entrepreneurial profile!
Have a favourite saying that inspires you? Share it! Once a month we’ll enter all entries into a draw for a chance to win a voucher for one of our upcoming seminars (value $20.)